Simulation Fun(?)


 Hmm... now it has come to the time to actually make a physical copy of something that I've 3D modeled digitally.... which is something I've somehow never done before (ordering prints of a model online doesn't quite count in my mind...)

In other words... exciting!


The first step in prepping the model for a simulation milling (and eventual actual milling) was to scale it down to the new size requirements... pretty easily done in Rhino.


(Original version (on right) and scaled down version (on left))

From there it was pretty simple to export the Rhino file and upload the model in Autodesk Fusion 360.

(And voilà, now stands a new Autodesk Fusion 360 model)


After that, a quick set up of the stock occurred by selecting 'New Setup".... creating a new setup for the job. The origin was roughly set, and the stock dimensions set, allowing for clearance along the edges.

A parallel... mode?(there's a better word than mode for this... can't quite think of it as I'm typing this out...) of cutting was selected.
(Adjustments made to the tool speed)
A quick adjustment of the tool speed/feed was made, then the tool defined.

Truthfully, I wasn't too clear as to how to properly define the tool (through the exact measurements of the tool for the job at hand and such)... somehow totally missed that part in class... whoops... but I'll figure it out with further research and such... for now, the tool I selected seems to work fine with the simulation.....

(Tool path defined)

The tool path was defined, with an appropriate rate of step over.

The design is pretty shallow and mostly at the same level through the stock, so there did not seem to be any major problems in the simulation with the removal of large amounts of material (though I could be totally wrong about this...)

(Simulation in progress... so far so good?)
A simulation of the milling was then... simulated...

So far, so good? Nothing is turning red or yelling errors at me, so I think its fine? Not feeling 100% sure about what I'm doing at this point with this, but I'm sure that with a bit more practice, familiarity with the program, and research all will be fine...


Comments

Popular Posts